Monday, March 02, 2009

Councils of War!

I seem to have manouvered myself into a part which I had tremendous trouble writing in my last novel. Namely, the council of war sequence. Where all is explained.
OK, so last time was a much more free flowing affair, coming about halfway through the book and changing the course of what the reader was expecting up until then. This one is an actual council of war, planning for the battle that will take place in the next few chapters.
However, the last one took me something like 6 years to finish, so I'm not looking forward to it. This is what coes of going "Wouldn't it be cool if M could do this and this and this." Yes it would, right, how do I weave this cool stuff into the narrative? Et Voila! Council of War scene!

At least this one is not a chapter in and of itself, it's the tag end of a chapter that sets up most of the main characters viewpoints and emotional states prior to the last punch up.

So what did I do? I introduced a new character, right in the middle of the situation, where noe was planned, now I have to do something with him. OK, so he was slightly set up before, but I could have excised him from the story without a problem, now he's solved a major emotional obstacle and is going to have to stay.
I have no idea how to use the bugger in the rest of the story though. I'm not seeing this end well for him.

Words Today: 1086
Total Words: 33510

No comments: