Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine Shopping in Tesco.

So, as a single guy, I won't make any kind of typical "Oh why am I alone, on this the most overhyped and romantic day of the year?"
Instead, I want to think a while on a topic that I'm considering exploiting next year.

And that is, singles in Tesco on Valentine's day.

Now, I live a good 15 minute car drive from the nearest decent pub, and a 20 minute walk from the nearest poor pub.
It's only 5 minutes drive to Tesco, and so me and my mate across the road have made it the highlight of our week on occasion, because there is nothing else to do.

I popped in tonight to grab the cheapest bottle of red wine I could find, so I could get drunk watching the Arsenal/Liverpool match (which so far is poor) and get down to plotting that graphic novel.
While having an aimless wander I began to think. I have heard it said that supermarkets are a good place to meet women, fill a basket with either stuff that makes you look cultured, or stuff that makes you look a bit lonely, and try to strike up conversations with women who also have similar stuff in their baskets.
And it struck me, women, wandering around Tesco at 7.45 on Valentines Day are either single, or about to dump the guy that left them to wander about a supermarket that night.
I saw a few, and had I had more than £3 to my name, I may have tried to get one to go for a "we're both sad enough to be here tonight" dinner. I say may, but I would probably chicken out, it's what I do.

Now, my thought is, are the women there likely to be more or less receptive? I'm thining more, but then again, being approached by a strange bearded man probably isn't what they want. In my experience it's not what any women want.
But for those who don't look like a relation of Chewbacca or as if the only light you've seen all year is the glow of your computer monitor, then it may be worth a go.

Let me know how it pans out for you, yeah?

No comments: